The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) is a federal tax credit available to employers who hire from targeted groups of people who have historically had difficulty in securing employment. These targeted groups include qualified veterans, recipients of Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), food stamp recipients, ex-felons, and qualified long-term unemployment recipients.
Historically, employers apply for the credit by physically mailing in copies of applications, forms, and supporting documentation to the Unemployment Insurance Agency. However, Michigan is now allowing employers to submit their applications and relevant documents online through the Michigan Web Account Manager.
Advantages of filing the WOTC application online include:
- Application being processed faster.
- Reduced paperwork and mailing delays, helping employers to meet the filing deadline.
- Auto validation of applications in under two weeks.
How to apply online:
- Log into your MIWAM account
- Click on Apply for WOTC
- Click on WOTC Application
- Follow the on screen instructions to submit the application and add attachments
Applying for the Work Opportunity Tax Credit online makes the process much faster and simpler. Log onto https://www.michigan.gov/leo/0,5863,7-336-94422_97241_89981_90231-78849–,00.html for more information about applying for the WOTC online. Contact us today for payroll assistance.